So your host has been MIA for quite some time. But that didn't stop him from going to LSA 2009, and having a good time. Highlights included, in no particular order:
- A symposium on applying computational methods to linguistic analysis
- A panel discussion on linguists as expert witnesses, and possible credentialing
- Terry Langendoen and Emily Bender's presentation of a vision for future computational resources
- John Rickford's plenary session on "age grading" -- how the characteristics of individual grammars change over time
- Getting together with the alas-rather-shrunken community of bloggers in attendance
Having taken copious notes on some of these, SC hopes to write about them over the next week. But promised posts having been a source of trouble around here ([says the understatement king of all time -- Ed.]) let's just see what comes next.